Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Craziness in Ipoh

Halo Keluargaku,

I'm doing super well. Malaysia is definitely awesome this week as it rained every single day. I'm gonna be honest, the heat is probably the hardest thing here, but when it rains like that it's like the beauty of the whole country just opens to your view. This morning as we biked to e-mail was totally amazing. Not raining, but the coolest I've ever felt it here. I told my companion, "if only it were like this all year I could live here for the rest of my life."

The work is going really well. These last couple of weeks Elder Porter and I have spent a lot of time calling former investigators which is way more successful here than knocking, and, as a pleasant side effect, leads to a whole mess of completely crazy experiences. This activity is frequently accompanied by Elder Porter and I shouting "Why is every person in the world completely crazy?!" Some choice calls over the past two weeks.

One woman refused to make any response except with a humming sound. "Hi, is this Mrs. Michelle?" "Mmmm" "Hi, how are you doing?" "MmmMmm" "So, do you think we could meet you sometime?" "Mmmm." "Oh good, what's your address now?" "MMMmmmMMM" Who does that?

Last night a little after 11 o'clock a man called us and informed us his name was "Pastor John." Turns out Pastor John is going to Sarawak with some friends for some "ministry work." I have no idea why he called us to tell us that. When he started to ask where we were right then (about to get in bed), and where we lived, Elder Porter was sure he was going to knock on the door any second. A few minutes later, he called us again and told us, once again, he was going to Sarawak with some friends.

Some people here are absolutely crazy about telling you their name. They completely refuse. After asking three or four times "Is this Mrs. Lin? Are you Mrs. Lin? I'm looking for Mrs. Lin," only to have them refuse to answer, you just move on, having an entire conversation with a person you're not really sure is the person you were looking for. Yesterday a lady try to verify my identity after I asked if Mrs. V was there by asking me what her job was. "I have no idea what her job is." "You don't know what her work is?!" Apparently I didn't know the secret password.

But, overall, we meet a lot of great people, and the crazy ones are always good for a story. We're meeting with a lot of good investigators right now, and I'm really starting to get pretty happy here in Ipoh. It's a great place.

Well, I'm already running a little late, but I love you all so much. I've been reading the scriptures a ton lately and have been filled with a love of them. The more you read, the more you see how priceless they are. I've really learned in this last couple of weeks that if you stay close to the scriptures you'll always have that guidance you need to keep you on the right path.

Ok! Love you!! Talk to you soon!

Elder Blissett (Kevin)

No comments:

Post a Comment