Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tracting

Halo Keluargaku,

So good to hear from you all. Things have been a little bit standard here in Malaysia this week. Still very hot, but a lot of great people to teach. The work is moving forward here everyday. So cool to be a part of it, and to be able to watch people make changes in their lives that affect them for eternity.

So, mostly same-old same-old here. I'm staying with the Dabels (the senior couple here. They're from Canada) while my companion makes a trip to Singapore, which has actually been really fun and productive (speaking of fun and *unproductive* things, it turns out they're opening a Universal Studios in Singapore tomorrow. Maybe President will approve it?). Staying over here is actually a lot like going home. Nice home cooked meals, a clean apartment, cookies before bed. I'm basically back in the United States! Unfortuately the Dabels are headed home in a couple of months, and their actually closing their apartment. That means we'll be back to only two missionaries in all of Ipoh. Lonely, huh?

I spent the P-Day today with some members since my companion is gone. We went to go play badminton, which is actually kind of a national sport over here in Malaysia. It was a blast! I had no idea how much I liked it, it's been so long since I've played, but it was really awesome. A little bit like tennis for everyone.

Elder Porter and I have been working really hard these past couple of weeks. Really getting out there and knocking on doors, which is something I haven't really had to do since the begining of my mission. It's filled with kind of funny experiences though. I don't think you realize exactly how many... well... crazy people there are in the world until you go out into a neighborhood and decided to knock on every door on the street (it makes me wonder about our own neighborhood). People are just funny!

Some of my favorites are people who just like to tell you yes.
"Hello, we come here from a church. We come to tell people that God has restored his church on the earth and called a prophet again, just like last time"
"Oh yes, I know that already"
"You... You do?"
"Oh, yes, I already know everything"
"You know there's a prophet on the Earth?"
"Nope! Haven't learned about that one yet..."

Another favorite is people who refuse to answer the door. Just the other day we were going back to a home we'd been invited to and knocked on the gate. I could see the uncle (that's what we called older people here in Malaysia) sitting in his couch, so I called out to him. He slowly raised himself from his chair, turned to look over at us, and without a word, turned back around and sat down.

"Alright, uh... see you next time uncle! Maybe we come back later!"

Wah. Lots of fun. Sometimes hot. Sometimes wet (just the other day we were tracting in the light rain and met a really nice lady at her home. We kept telling her about why we were there, but about every third sentence she'd tell
us, "But... it's raining!" "Yes, it is raining. That's ok, we like the rain." "But... It's raining."), but always lots of fun!
At least it shows we're out looking for people, right?

Well, these last couple of weeks I've been studying the New Testament. It's amazing how the stories kind of change every time you read just to meet your needs. It's an amazing book, and has just pointed out to me once again what a treasure the scriptures are. There aren't any other books like them in this world.

Well, I'm about out of time, but I love you all so much! I'm so grateful we have e-mail. What a blessing, huh?

Alright, talk to you next week. Love you!

-Elder Blissett (Kevin)

No comments:

Post a Comment